Post Semester 2

Since my semester 2 submission I have been focused on personal development and managed to do a commission for the British Council Arts which tied in nicely with my MA research. The commission was to create 2 A4 pages for a Cultural Heritage Activity Pack for British South Asians aged 11-25. As we are currently in a lockdown, the aim of the Cultural Heritage project was to give young South Asians a series of activities to do at home which connected them with their own heritage. 

My proposed idea which was accepted was to create 2 'concept your own video game character' pages which drew upon South Asian influences. I introduced the topic of underrepresentation of minority cultures, created characters briefs and pose templates for people to design from and on to. For inspiration/reference, I concepted my own South Asian characters from my character briefs as line art so they could also be a 'colour in' activity. My aim was to encourage young South Asians and engage with them on a creative level they may have not felt was accessible to them. The activity packs were separated into 2 age groups: 11-16 and 16-25. I decided to create a page for each age group. These are the final versions of the pages I made:



On the left is the 11-16 page, the right is the 16-25 page. I tried to take into account the different age ranges and established character briefs and designed my own characters accordingly.

To create the character briefs I researched into various aspects of South Asian heritage as well as video game motifs. I wanted to create a brief that was interesting, thought provoking, which young South Asians could relate to and be inspired by to create South Asian characters. Personally I found it hard to develop character briefs and a way which worked for me was to imagine my own characters and formulate qualities/character traits from that which could be bullet pointed into a brief. The paragraphs in the pages above which tell a story about my characters are a result of that, as well as inspiration for anyone who wants to come up with a story for their own character.

The design development to concepting my characters was pretty difficult. On the forefront of my mind was the fact that I wanted my designs to be well-liked and intrigue young South Asians. I thought about myself at 11, 16, and currently (at 25), and what I would have wanted to see as someone receiving this pack. Constantly I was scrutinising my work so that my designs would be perceived as authentic, as is the ultimate aim of my research, and not stereotypical. I wanted people receiving these pages to think that a South Asian designed these characters with care, consideration and complexity, and they could then also see the possibilities in designing South Asian characters that are 'cool' and not gimmicky. 

I believe my own design process in creating these characters and the pages themselves is almost like a trial run of the methodology I wish to establish for creating authentic design. Having communicated with practitioners in the games industry for my semester 2 research report, I tried to take on board the advice they gave for me. I wanted to pass that knowledge down onto other South Asians in the hopes this inspires more of us to become artists, in whatever field.

Here are the references I used and design development for my characters:






The success of my output is yet to be determined, however, if I can view the results of my work I will be sure to document it here as it would be of immense help in my future work for semester 3. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Street View, Colour Schemes and Finished Maya Model

Mage & warrior design development