Jewellery warrior design

Due to time constraints I created a warrior design for the jewellery theme with base colours (foregoing shading and rendering).I used the colour palette from the jewellery mage design with the same thinking as when I did for the embroidery warrior and mage classes. I made some changes to the footwear and weapon to suit the jewellery theme better. As I had established a more concrete brief with the jewellery mage class, I used that thinking in this design too combined with the 'warrior' aesthetic by having heavy metal plated footwear and heavy metal weaponry. The dual weapon I had drawn before could be for an alternate warrior version, but for this one I wanted to develop a sword version as it felt like it portrayed the warrior concept a lot stronger. I chose a sword design that fit with the visual language of the character design (replicating the gold and red diamond present in headgear and footwear) and also so that it reflected the personality of the character wielding it. I'm not sure if this was the best way to design the sword but I thought this was the best way for the viewer to interpret the character's personality.

These design changes and choices in general came from the recent advice I'd been given by concept artists who mentioned that my characters should be drawn in provocative poses that showcase their personality, have a strong silhouette and weapons should have character, hence my reasoning above. I also forewent most details on the clothing and sword due to lack of time so the overall design looks simpler than I wanted and doesn't exude a strong jewellery aesthetic as I couldn't draw all of the jewellery. However, I feel that the drawing below encompasses most of the design aspects I wanted to portray so it is still successful as a basic concept (though not especially developed). Although simple, this design I feel shares a similar visual language to the jewellery mage design due to the plain clothing (as I developed in my jewellery brief), shapes, material and colours which also makes it successful in its purpose. I think the style and colour choices make this design a lot better than the ones I had developed for the jewellery warrior previously, and I thought in terms of idea generation this was a lot quicker to do relative to the other 3 designs (jewellery mage, embroidery warrior and mage). With this in mind, I feel a lot more hopeful that I can continue to develop my concepting skills and become a great concept artist. The jewellery warrior design can be seen below:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Street View, Colour Schemes and Finished Maya Model

Mage & warrior design development