Jewellery mage development

After developing the designs for the embroidery fighters, I went back to jewellery to try to finalise the mage look. I felt that out of all my designs, this was the most developed so I found it fairly straightforward to concept a 'final' design. 

In the end I made a few changes which I felt suited the character more. Tasking my advice from the previous post, I tried to formulate a more specific brief for myself so that my character design decisions would be more informed. My brief was:

- source of magic power comes from the metal forged into jewellery
- magic is heat/electricity (as metal conducts these)
- different jewellery pieces produce different forms of heat magic
- no embroidery on clothing as rival(?) group uses that as magic source - forces clothing to be simplified, could consider digital prints (juxtaposed with embroidery group who avoid jewellery and wear embroidered clothing)
- jewellery group (still needs a name) in society push for technological advances in magic, culture, resources etc. and have a futuristic style (this is juxtaposed with embroidery who could be classed as more traditional)

Consequently I came up with the design below, which tries to combine the things above with the development I had done up until now. In the image I showed a form of magic as lightning as it is an electric current and is created by electric charges. Below I have the image with and without the power shown so you can also see the character's outfit:




Underneath the 2 images I posted also the sketch art I used to start the image and instead of creating line art, I went straight to the colouring stage and also included extra effects to make the clothing shade have a gradient (like in the development work). I followed the same colour theme of blue and gold and added extra elements such as the red within the neck jewellery to give contrast and interest. My idea when creating this pose was to depict a character that is powerful, confident and dangerous. I think I was successful in getting these characteristics through.

I decided to get rid of the gold sleeves, although they looked cool in the development, I thought it would make more sense for the character to have no sleeves so they could wear jewellery on their arms and access the items more easily. I started to include sequined masks in the jewellery warriors, so I thought it would make sense to also include it into the mage design which I used as a head covering. I thought by including these elements the style would still remain as South Asian but with the edits I made, the style becomes futuristic e.g. pointed sleeves and simplistic design. 

For reference, I collated the development work I did before for the jewellery mage + theme (this is all work that can be seen in my previous posts as I did them):




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Street View, Colour Schemes and Finished Maya Model

Mage & warrior design development