New character concept

Since my last post I have been quite busy (especially during reflection week) where I had work and family commitments which prevented me getting as much work I'd like done. Instead, I chose to focus on the Design Research assignment as I wasn't able to put much time into my practical work. I had to email people working in my chosen field (concept artist). So far I have gotten 2 responses who are willing to answer my questions and look over my work. I have also started writing up 2 of the 4 class lectures to use as a starting point for my essay. I think doing the essay in small parts would be a better use of my time as I can also focus on my practice work at the same time. Last semester I ended up using 2 weeks of my time dedicated to the essay which I feel hindered my practice progress and I was overly invested in the essay writing to the point where it was the source of my stress. 

I have been focusing more this past week on trying to concept a new character from scratch as suggested by Jim. I hope to have a more honed and final design by next Wednesday to show and to see where I could go next. So far I have managed to establish a set design for my character, but I haven't been able to finalise details and define their personality/style enough for a modeller to use. 

As I was given a very open interpretation to design whoever I liked, I tried to set my own restrictions so I wouldn't get carried away designing very different briefs. I made some general notes and made a reference board to help with design:


Notes

References



To find appropriate mage class/magic user poses, I used google to find these for reference:


Although the design is of a non-human, I used the images for anatomy and pose references. I chose 2 of the 5 poses to draw as I thought they best represented the type of character I wanted to design (powerful, commanding, deadly). Some of the others such as top right and bottom left felt too 'posey' rather than an action pose. 


Here are the designs I tried out (using additional poses), with the larger ones being the design/style that I settled on:



I spent between 10-25 mins on each drawing. I am keeping track of time duration to ensure that I follow my tutor's advice and learn how to draw faster. I noticed that for the design I have chosen, the hairstyle I used has a similar concept to the video game character Edelgard (whom I first drew in different styles in January). I thought this would suit my character to give their facial appearance a certain distinction. The overall clothing design was based on my previous knowledge of mages combined with the references above. 

I spoke with my tutor Josh today and showed him the work above. He said it was a good start but I should think about making my design fantastical. I agreed as I thought so far whilst designing I've been thinking about practicality over everything else. He offered his suggestion as to what I should do next, the most important parts being to hone down the parts I have still left unclear e.g. shoes and underdress.

He also gave some suggestions as to how to improve my design and make it suit a video game character more. He talked about incorporating my culture in a more exaggerated way into the design and depicting different options for my character e.g. changing the weapon so it is dual (head on either side) or head is detachable/hovers and its movement controlled by magic. These were interesting aspects to take into consideration and from now on I will try to focus on this character and use these pointers to improve the design. 

I feel more motivated after hearing positive things about my initial concept. It helps to know that I am doing something right as a major part of last semester was me thinking I wasn't good enough to produce the work (although I could sure talk about it!). I am also still taking on board what my other tutor Jim said about not being negative about my own work. I thought I did okay today and avoided saying anything bad about it, instead I allowed Josh to give his thoughts and made note of his suggestions. I feel that so far this semester is going in the right direction and am happy to be doing this type of work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Street View, Colour Schemes and Finished Maya Model

Mage & warrior design development